2013-03-25

Trailer

When we decided to move, we looked at the options for getting our stuff up there.  Out of the choices, we decided to buy a pickup truck and trailer.  We bought the pickup last fall and now we are on the search for a suitable trailer.

Our criteria is pretty limiting.  We would prefer to get an enclosed trailer but they are typically out of our $1000 spending limit.  New is also out due to cost.  To try to cut down on trips, we would probably need a larger trailer but we are limited by the power of our truck and our storage options.  It has to be big enough to transport our king size bed and yet small enough to store it in the garage until the move.  (Our garage is long but standard one car width.)  Our ideal size, as near as I can guess, would be about 6' x 10'-12'.  I've been investigating options and have found a utility trailer typically fits into these requirements.  I will have to customize it a little so as to be able to transport our stuff without it falling out, getting wet, and hopefully reducing drag (for better gas mileage).

In searching for a trailer, I have resorted to looking at Craigslist.  I find the prices are generally better than many on Ebay.  We also don't get a newspaper so buying a paper just to look in the classifieds seems a waste.  I have found several good options, size and price wise.  Just need to decide which one and buy it before someone else does.

Our idea is to either buy the trailer for the move and then sell it later to make at least some of the money back or keep the trailer for other purposes later.  I can see the logic with both options but I am starting to favor keeping it and modifying it for camping purposes later.  I have had the idea for a while that while I love camping, my family is not so much into sleeping in a tent, getting wet and/or cold.  A camper would be a great solution but are well out of our price range (excluding a camper/topper on the pickup bed).  I have been inspired by all the examples online of other people building their own camper trailers, some of which are simple but extremely well done.  I've really been inspired by the examples of vardo (gypsy style wagon), teardrop, and airstream-like trailers.

As my wife says, though I have the know-how (or can get it), the tools, and the drive, I lack the time!  Aah well.  Story of my current life.

No comments:

Post a Comment